The Flowering Cross Book Review

I was recently given the opportunity to review The Flowering Cross by Beth Ryan and illustrated by Renee Graef from Thomas Nelson Publishing. I was so excited to receive this wonderful Easter story to share with my children. The story is of six year old Katie, along with her little dog, Waggles. Her family has shown kindness and love to "mean old Jack," their neighbor that all the other children are afraid of. Throughout many hard times in Jack's life, Katie's family has been there to show God's love to them. Katie wakes up Easter morning to go to Papa Jack's (as she now calls him) to pick flowers from his garden to put on the Flowering of the Cross at church that morning. Her family has invited Papa Jack to church before but he never comes. To her surprise, Easter morning he says he is coming with her. Sweet little Katie tells him of Jesus' love and how He died for our sins. This changes Papa Jack's life and he is no longer "mean" Jack, but shows love to the neighborhood kids that he used to be grumpy toward.
I think this book is a wonderful presentation of the Gospel for little ones age 4 and up. My four year old sat and listened to the whole thing and she loved it. On the bottom of most pages is a scripture verse and also a Faith Imprint for the adult reading the book to discuss an important Biblical lesson from that page. I enjoyed discussing many topics with my daughter including obeying your parents, Jesus' death and resurrection, and how even a young child can share the Gospel with others. This is a wonderful Easter story that I will read every year to my children. I recommend it as not only a good story, but also a way to open up and discuss Biblical principles with your child.
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Thomas Nelson Publishers as part of their Booksneeze.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.
No comments:
Post a Comment