Thursday, August 12, 2010

A Book Review: "Still House Pond" by Jan Watson


In the novel "Still House Pond" by Jan Watson, the young Lilly Corbett lives a life that is beyond her years. She is busy helping her mother, Copper, with her younger siblings while Copper is out helping mothers birth babies. Lilly just wants to live the life that any young girl her age would want which is one of playing and spending time with her friends instead of watching her siblings. Her Aunt Alice sends a letter asking Lilly to come to the city of Lexington to visit. Copper is not thrilled with the idea at all and feels Lilly is not ready. Most of all Copper is not ready to let her little girl go. Copper and her husband, John, do let her go to Lexington and later hear that her train has crashed. This is a story of letting go and letting your children move on in life even if you are not ready quite yet. I normally do not tend to read historical setting fiction, but this one caught my attention in Jan's interesting characters she created. Also, I used to work as a nurse with babies and mothers in the nursery so I could easily relate to the medical situations in the book. This is a great read and I would recommend it to anyone.

Tyndale House Publishers has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book to review. The opinions listed are mine and are honest.

No comments: